Portsmouth Guildhall's Holistic Approach Towards a Sustainable Future
12 October 2023
Portsmouth Guildhall is a leading conference, meeting, and event destination where versatility meets excellence! We are dedicated to transforming your events into unforgettable experiences. Our approach offers convenience for your delegates without compromising our commitment to the environment and society.
Four main objectives guide our sustainability efforts. We aim to achieve net-zero emissions by 2030 through energy efficiency, renewable energy adoption, and carbon offsetting. Additionally, we strive to adopt a circular economy approach by reducing material consumption and promoting recycling. We believe in collaboration to combat climate change and drive climate action, innovation, and growth through education and advocacy. Lastly, we provide various opportunities to enrich the community we serve through music, the arts, and heritage.
We currently employ several green initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint:
- Digital Transformation: Embracing digital screens reduces emissions and waste.
- Local Collaboration: When possible, we choose local suppliers and workforce to reduce carbon emissions and support the regional business community. We work with transport providers to encourage public transport.
- Recycling: We have introduced recycling throughout the venue. We also promote and educate about recycling through our Dance Live! programming.
- Resource Efficiency: By upgrading lighting to LEDs, energy-efficient systems, and water-saving devices, we cut energy consumption.
- Waste Reduction: Introducing biodegradable materials, reusing resources, and minimizing deliveries, Portsmouth Guildhall minimizes waste generation.
Portsmouth Guildhall has achieved tangible results through these efforts. These achievements include diverting 100% of collected waste from landfills, with 32.82% recycled. We have also achieved an 11% reduction in CO2 emissions since 2018 while increasing productivity. Furthermore, Portsmouth Guildhall has green partnerships, such as that with Ecologi, which plants 100 trees for every conference or meeting held in the auditorium. We currently have planted 4,300 trees.
Our commitment to event excellence is strengthened by our efforts to continuously improve our environmental performance, ensuring a more sustainable future.
For more updates and to join our journey, visit Sustainable Guildhall and follow us on social media.